captclem
Antispam - Select the middle number: 3
Antispammer - Date: 12 May 2015
antispammersel: No
I Hate Spam: No
Why I want to join WOR Board: hangglider pilot

Indian Valley Bailout Closed aka Tweetins

Postby captclem » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:04 am

I'm informing the flying community that the Bailout LZ is closed as per the owners. We will be trying to resolve this. Contact me if you can help. Thanks Dave C.

RMoore
Antispammer - Date: 22 Oct 2012
Why I want to join WOR Board: WOR

Re: Indian Valley Bailout Closed aka Tweetins

Postby RMoore » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:20 am

We knew it was likely, if pilots kept dropping in without permission. At this point, pilots who aren't confident they can make it to the valley LZ's shouldn't launch from the Burn. Maybe we should consider reopening the old Keddie Launch...

This time last year, I wrote up some tips for soaring IV. They can be very helpful in avoiding the bailout, but are no guarantee for low-perf gliders.

http://wingsofrogallo.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2020

crvalley

Postby crvalley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:58 pm

RMoore wrote:This time last year, I wrote up some tips for soaring IV. They can be very helpful in avoiding the bailout, but are no guarantee for low-perf gliders.

http://wingsofrogallo.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2020

RM,

I utilized the strategies you posted last year with with my flight at IV two weeks ago - it worked well...ended up landing at Meyer's with Bob Newman and his rigid...I was on my topless. Dave Clement and I enjoyed a few thermals together before I continued on down the ridge that day - great time and finally had a decent flight at that site. Should have stuck with Dave, though - would have had a longer flight with more impressive altitude, but will take what I had which was a flight that ended up in other than the bailout.

~CRV

RMoore

Postby RMoore » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 am

Chris,

I'm glad you had a fun flight. Like most sites, Keddie Ridge has it's sweet spots, and site familiarity helps get you up! I bet Dave took advantage of the house thermal behind his place, which can be the best thermal ride on the whole east side of the ridge.

RM

Richard
Antispammer - Date: 27 Mar 2012
Why I want to join WOR Board: Because I fly Ed Levin all the time!

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:08 pm

RMoore wrote:We knew it was likely, if pilots kept dropping in without permission. At this point, pilots who aren't confident they can make it to the valley LZ's shouldn't launch from the Burn. Maybe we should consider reopening the old Keddie Launch...

This time last year, I wrote up some tips for soaring IV. They can be very helpful in avoiding the bailout, but are no guarantee for low-perf gliders.

Those tips are great!

"At this point, pilots who aren't confident they can make it to the valley LZ's shouldn't launch from the Burn."

Except for perhaps really new pilots, I don't think anyone ever wants to land there! Everyone is probably confident they can make it to the valley as long as conditions are good. So what if you just end up sinking out right away now? What happens if you have to land there because you sink out?

It seems like the only way to make sure you don't land at Tweetins is to not launch.....

RMoore

Postby RMoore » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:17 am

The tips I posted are an effort to help pilots gain confidence - and actual ability - they can avoid the bailout. Sinking out to Tweeten's has to do with hanging around the launch or ridge area behind Tweeten's, hoping to get up in that area. There can be better soaring in other parts of the ridge, and getting the pilot closer to the valley LZ's. My tips are intended to illustrate this.

I recognize that not all gliders have the performance to effectively fly away from the bailout without first finding lift. High performance gliders should be able to do it - I've been doing it for years, although it's uncommon for me not to get up within an easy glide of Tweeten's.

RM

RMoore

Postby RMoore » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:55 am

I took a few minutes to calculate the glide to the three most popular LZ's in Indian Valley:

Meyer's (sometimes called The Woodpile) - 6.8:1
Snow White - 7.6:1
Dave's - 7.8:1

While I wouldn't recommend single-surface gliders attempt to fly out toward the valley on a straight sled-run, intermediate or hi-perf wings shouldn't have much problem. Of course, spending time/alt looking for lift before heading out can be a complication. Flying into lift while heading out certainly seems like a possibility, though.

I thought it was interesting to note that even the closest edge of the valley is 6.8:1 - might as well fly toward Meyer's. On days where I'm not finding much lift, I like to fly in the direction of Dave's. The flight path has me flying across a number of spines, which often are kicking off thermals - even lower on the ridge.

RM

Return to “General Discussion”