Next Soarable Ed Levin?

Discussion for all pilot types
Joe Jackson

Re: Next Soarable Ed Levin?

Postby Joe Jackson » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Didn't see you Karl--

Lijian and I went up around 2 pm. Had a couple of dust devils come through while setting up. One was pretty cool- you could see a spiral whirl in the grass for a couple of minutes as it climbed up the hill toward that old stone wall.
I stayed up for a few minutes over the 1200 but went exploring and pretty quickly sank out. The wind switched NE and nobody else launched.

Joe

Karl_A

Postby Karl_A » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Joe,

I got there about 10:30 and it looked like what it was, Summer Ed Levin, not the absurdly optimistic sounding. Went up with a couple H2's, Gary and Paul, got them launched and then flew because we had a driver. When all the paragliders have sunk out and every vulture on the mountain is in the same thermal and even they can barely get anything out of it you know it's not too good for hang gliders. I barged into the middle of a 20 vulture gaggle, even that didn't work and I had to wash off the top of my sail after landing. That was me sinking out as you were driving up, then we drove up again while you were sinking out. We were about 15 minutes too late, it went NE before they could get launched while I demonstrated mature H4 judgement by not setting up.

Karl

sbrian2
Antispam - Select the middle number: 3
Antispammer - Date: 25 Feb 2009
antispammersel: No
I Hate Spam: No

Postby sbrian2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 am

So.... Wednesday, Thursday or Friday look interesting to anyone? Or will it be too weak? I'm not so good with the weather forecasting...

Karl_A

Postby Karl_A » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:54 pm

Wednesday through Monday of next week, which is as far as the Weather Underground forecast for San Jose goes, could all be good. Make sure your vario and radio batteries are charged and your wing and harness are good to go.

More news tomorrow morning.

Karl_A

Postby Karl_A » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:37 am

Wednesday 4/22 looks like the usual summer inversion with the WOR Soaring Forecaster http://www.wingsofrogallo.org/weather/scast.html showing a low inversion and the Ed Levin windtalker is reporting 86 degrees at 7:30 am. With the air aloft that warm it would have to get to almost 100, 10 degrees above the San Jose predicted high of 88 to make it soarable.

Thursday 4/23 should be better.

Karl_A

Postby Karl_A » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:31 am

The usual stuff isn't working.
- Bill Murray as Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters

Very unusual cumulus building over the hills east of Calaveras Reservoir the last couple of days with Ed Levin NE all day. Almost looked like the monsoon thunderstorms from the south that come to Arizona in July and August.

Today the sounding has a deep marine layer aka good lapse rate up to strong inversion at 3000 feet with overcast. It might get soarable if the overcast burns off but the Area Forecast Discussion says 'VERY SLOW TO BURN OFF', so maybe not.

AFD also says 'SLIGHT CHANCE FOR SHOWERS ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. HAVE ALSO ADDED ISOLATED T-STORMS FOR THE NORTH BAY HILLS DURING THIS SAME TIME FRAME' This sounds to me like 'Slight chance for showers and oh by the way, thunderstorms also.'

Alan

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:17 am

Karl_A wrote:This sounds to me like 'Slight chance for showers and oh by the way, thunderstorms also.'

I see the wind in the WSW up to 12 -- doesn't that look like ridge soaring to you?

Are you going out this afternoon? I'm going to see if I can get off work. Not too likely (it never is) but I'm going to try.

workinit111
Antispam - Select the middle number: 3
Antispammer - Date: 24 Apr 2009
antispammersel: No
I Hate Spam: No
Why I want to join WOR Board: .

Postby workinit111 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:36 pm

Did anyone fly Ed Levin today? Levin looked like an extended sledder at best and the fort looked too good so I went there. Got there about 10am, winds were WSW (barely southy at all) about 15+. Smoooooooooooooooooth air all day! Me and my buddy Scott were the only ones there for the first hour and a half or so. Flew to Westlake past Muscle Rock a few times, just played around all day. Got high enough to see which airlines were flying over my head. Mostly sunny all day, smooth air, saw some friends, Mike Quinn, Van, Dave, John Simpson. :D :D :D
Jim
KJ6GTY

Karl_A

Postby Karl_A » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 am

4/24/09, the 19th anniversary of the Hubble Space Telescope launch, has mediocre lapse rate, winds aloft about 290 degrees (WNW) and Ed Levin windtalker reporting WSW at 6 at 8:30 am. Might be a soarable window if the overcast burns off before the wind on top goes more north but it will be early, maybe before noon. If you're in the LZ and the windsock on top looks good it's probably already too late because by the time you drive up and get set up it will be over.

Karl_A

Postby Karl_A » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:13 am

Saturday 4/25/09 A bit of a lapse rate, -3 at about 3200 MSL, windtalker SW @ 5 at 0710 but San Jose wind forecast looks like it will turn north sooner and with more enthusiasm than usual.
Last edited by Karl_A on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”