Flying vacation?

Everything about events and competitions, past or upcoming. Announcements, tips on competition flying, comp reviews, etc.
flying zippy
Antispam - Select the middle number: 3
Antispammer - Date: 26 Mar 2009
antispammersel: No
I Hate Spam: No
Why I want to join WOR Board: Cause I fly hang gliders....

Flying vacation?

Postby flying zippy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:21 am

Anyone want to go flying for a week? See new culture, countryside, and skies Have organized retrieve everyday? Probably exceed several personal bests? Learn tons by flying in groups, with some of the best? Meet new people with a similar passion, share stories and camaraderie?

Let's take a flying vacation! I'm hoping to find people to team up with (especially those who might truly value my experience) for Big Spring, TX.

You might be thinking to yourself "Wait, that's a competition?!", yes it is. But we compete on every flight, maybe not with others (formally), but with the conditions, and with ourselves. It's human nature to push yourself to improve. Big Spring has Sport Class, so anyone with H3, AT, XC, & Turb sign-offs are welcome.

When I first started attending competitions in the '90's, I hear the task call, look at the conditions and think "no one's going to make that, we'll be lucky to make it 20 miles" But then, the top guys were completing the task, and I'd make it farther than I thought possible. Do you want to go farther than you thought possible for you? I can't imagine anyone coming back from a week of flying like that without learning a few things.

You do need an aero tow rating. If you don't have it, I can help you with that out in Brentwood, with Kevin Dutt.

When I mentioned people who truly value my experience, what I mean is that I'm willing to help prepare and mentor those who might be willing to take on a bit more than their share of the costs (driver, gas, etc). I'm a poor hang gliding profession whose recently relocated and don't really have my finances in order. I may offer a formal XC prep clinic for the anyone to raise funds, or give you private guidance to help you get the most out of the trip. Also, before and after flights, we'll get to discuss strategies and debrief all the wonderful experiences.

Let me know if you have any questions. I want to go fly high, and fly far, don't you?

Zac Majors
Ate oh five 6996-FLY

flying zippy
Antispammer - Date: 26 Mar 2009
Why I want to join WOR Board: Cause I fly hang gliders....

Re: Flying vacation?

Postby flying zippy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Last chance...

We need to leave Wednesday or Thursday to make in time for a practice day. We could leave Friday if you're committed to a serious drive.

I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get more airtime and higher quality flying in Texas for this coming week.

Want to set some new personal bests?

call me at the number above,

Zippy

therider
Antispammer - Date: 19 Mar 2013
Why I want to join WOR Board: I am a fresh H3 and also a WOR member. Signing up for this new board.

Re: Flying vacation?

Postby therider » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Hey Zac, I am a new H3 and I have lots of winch tow experience at Hollister (my H2 -> H3 is solely on tow). Can I get some experience in AT at Brentwood ? How much does it cost ?

Return to “Events & Competitions”